Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Bjarne Riis Responds to Doping Allegations



Bjarne is facing new allegations from a former employee of the T-Mobile team when Bjarne was racing for them. The guy is saying Bjarne and some other racers used epo during that time. The man also stated that Zabel refused to use the drugs. He said Bjarne very often raced with a hematocrit above 50% (not illegal at the time, but now is the ceiling allowed by the uci). Here is Bjarne's rebuttal:

"I have never had a particularly close relation with Jef D'hondt and he has no validation for the allegations he is making," said Riis in a statement released on Monday evening. "There will always be someone out there trying to make money by talking about the past and in my opinion that is probably what he is trying to do here.
"This is probably not the first nor the last time these kinds of stories surface," he continued. "To me, it's all in the past and I do not wish to be held accountable every time someone finds it interesting to bring up some ten-year-old story. I truly believe the future is much more important than the past. I want to be judged on the work I'm doing with my team today, and the results we achieve - that is what's important to me."

Not exactly a strong denial. Now don't get me wrong, I like Bjarne and I like CSC alot. I hate the doping speculation. I don't know if this will ever end. I think the leaders of our sport are and were so caught up in doping in the past that it will be impossible for them to be the true policemen of our sport. This is why the UCI needs to have standardized strict protocols and not leave it up to the teams. This would level the playing field and allow the best riders to win races, Not those with the best drugs.

No comments: