Sunday, May 13, 2007

Smoking Ban in Minnesota for Oct. 1st!

Alright!!!! The legislator finally followed many other states in the country and took the line that smoking sucks and is bad for everyone's health and just because you want to smoke while you drink doesn't mean that the two are mutually inclusive. I for one am psyched that when I go get a beer with my friends I won't have to come home smelling like smoke and be coughing up the plague in the a.m. from some dudes marlboro red's the night before. I know what the argument is: What about freedom? What about keeping the governmant out of "MY" choices. Well let me tell you, When I am in a place where smoking is allowed there aren't alot of choices for me. I have to breath. YOu don't have to smoke. I work in a hospital. Do you know how much smoking related illnesses cost us all every year? End of life treatment due to respiratory illness is incredibly expensive. This inturn causes our health insurance premiums to go up hits us all directly in the wallet. So the next time your puffing away while complaining about taxes going up to pay more for schools or teachers think about how much that heater is costing the rest of us and not benefiting anyone at all, including yourself.
I feel better now.

No comments: