Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Basso Admits to Doping!

Well, It appears that Basso is admitting to his involvement in Puerto. I believe this is very good for cycling. It only took a year and the fear of being caught to get him to come clean. It now seems that he is only claiming to "ATTEMPTING" to dope and that his Giro was won fair and square. He says he never actually got the chance. What a load of crap! I was reading the wilcockson book on last year's tour and there is a part where Julich is talking about Basso and how honest he is and that Basso had come to each person on the team and told them personally that he had nothing to do with it. He said he would be crushed if Basso really was guilty as they were good friends and he trusted him. How very sad that Basso felt he had to lie to his friends and teammates. I liked Basso. I even tacitly supported his coming to Discovery. I, like many people, had my head in the sand. Now, the uci has to investigate and hand out even handed punishments. Like, for example, how is Valverde still riding? Blood bags were found with "valv" on them. This is far more evidence than they had to hold Basso under suspicion (Birillo, anyone?). The uci needs to be consistent (it never is). It needs to punish everyone, not just the stars (Ulrich and Basso). I guess we shall see how McQuaid handles this. I won't hold my breath that punishments and the investigation will go even handedly. Whatever the case, I hope that these names come out soon so we can get on to the business of the Giro.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go time trial the park and become your own hero. Better yet just ride with the group and bring a smile!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely! Probably going to time trial the park tommorrow.
Erik

GWR said...

I can't help but recalling the scene in 'Overcoming' when Riis tells Basso after the AdH ITT in 2004 that his ride "wasn't good enough". Was that a pivotal moment in Basso's road to doping?

Bobby must be gutted. If Basso could lie to his teammates, what chance have fans got of hearing the truth.